View, edit, search and comment on MediaWiki with your iPad
Wiki Edit is an iPad application that makes editing any MediaWiki site a pleasure.
It features a fully functional web browser that automatically detects Wiki sites and enhances them with a special menu, and a beautiful full-screen wiki markup editor.
It works with hundreds of thousands of MediaWiki based sites, including those from the Wikimedia Foundation like Wikipedia®, Wikibooks™, and Wikiversity™. It also works with wiki's hosted on Wikia™, like WoWWiki, FFXIClopedia, and others
Praise for Wiki Edit:
Great Wikipedia browser/editor. This deceptively simple browser app is the best environment I've found for editing articles on Wikipedia and other MediaWiki sites. - Ralphoo
One of a kind. Wiki Edit is a useful app for anyone who provides content on a MediaWiki site. It offers a nice full screen editing window to make wiki pages easier to edit than in Safari. - ADobkin
As a daily MediaWiki user, this app is quite literally life-changing for me, and well worth the money. - Jesse
Justification for a company iPad if ever I saw one. - Richard
This application is full of win. If you are going to buy any apps, this one is worth it. - Kofiobibini
Wiki Edit features:
- Full-screen wiki markup editing
- Upload pictures from your Camera Roll or Photo Library
- Enhanced Search - search in page, wiki/site, or the web
- External Keyboard support, arrow keys, cut/paste, movement shortcuts
- Wiki Menu for section navigation, Watch Lists, User Page
- Slide-out MediaWiki Markup Keyboard Accessory with common markup symbols
- Slide-out MediaWiki Markup Help when editing
- More than a dozen themes for browsing and editing: Bamboo, Teak, Marble, etc.
- (swipe your finger across the browser toolbar to change themes.)
- Supports 100's of thousands of public wikis
- Supports company wiki's on Corporate Networks or behind VPN
- Supports private wiki's with self-signed SSL or Apache Digest/Basic Authentication
- Tested on iPad generations 1-4 as well as iPad Mini running iOS 4.3 or later
New for Version 1.9.1:
- Added: Support for iOS 7
New for Version 1.9:
- Added: Support for iOS 6
- Added: Support for native file/photo upload
New for Version 1.7:
- Added: Upload images from your Camera Roll or Photo Library
- Added: Upload option in Wiki menu
- Added: Edit Recovery - tapping "cancel" during save will return to the editing screen with your changes intact.
- Added: Network Recovery - Your edits are saved, even during network failures during Saving or Previewing.
- Added: iOS 5.x Support.
- Added: iPad generation 3 support.
- Bug Fix: Better memory management (now using ARC).
- Bug Fix: Missing activity spinners on Load/Save/Preview fixed.
- Bug Fix: Missing "http:" for some Wikipedia Pages in Wiki Menu fixed.
- Note: Some "Upload Wizards" don't work on the iPad. Try using the "Upload" option from the Wiki Edit menu instead -- this will bypass the wizard and allow you to upload on most MediaWikis.
New for Version 1.6:
- Added: Support for MediaWiki versions 1.17 and 1.18 Alpha
- Added: Support for latest Wikimedia Foundation usability initiative skins and extensions
- Added: Support for MediaWikis configured with “mod_rewrite” and $wgActionPaths
- Added: Support for several “iFrame” based editor extensions (iFrame rich text controls are not supported by the iPad, Wiki Edit converts these to standard text boxes)
- Bug Fix: Issues with WeCoWi.de and en.BitCoin.it resolved
- Bug Fix: Site addresses were not being updated until after the page had fully loaded
- Bug Fix: Site titles would not get updated in certain cases
New in Version 1.5
- New: Slide-out MediaWiki Markup Keyboard Accessory
- New: Slide-out MediaWiki Markup Help Bar
- New: Enhancements for multitasking iOS 4.x
- Bug Fix: Buttons in articles and forms can now invoke markup editor
- Bug Fix: URL’s in non-roman characters no longer get “%xx” encoded
- Bug Fix: Remembers history and bookmarks if “task killed”
- Bug Fix: Removed extra HTTP HEAD request on self-signed SSL sites
- Bug Fix: All outstanding issues on private MediaWiki sites resolved
- Bug Fix: All outstanding issues on Public Wikia sites resolved
- Preparing for Universal App: New Authentication dialogs, new Web Engine
- Fully tested on iPad 2 hardware, iOS 4.2.x and 4.3.x
New in Version 1.2
- New: Faster MediaWiki detection and editing
- New: Support for Self-Signed SSL Certificates, Digest Auth, Basic Auth
- New: 12 Browser and Editor Themes: Bamboo, Teak, Marble, etc.
- (Just swipe your finger across the toolbar to change themes!)
- New: Uses Apple's Keychain to secure your login credentials
- Bug Fix: Faster editing on Wikia, and sites with lots of graphics
- Bug Fix: Fixes Cyrillic text editing bug.